Monday 27 July 2015

Wool, wool and more wool (and other patterns).

OK I am a hoarder, and a collector, and I love wool. But my collection has got to the point that I can't find storage space any longer, it's overrun my storage unit, it's falling out of the cupboard and taken over the living room chest. So I need to either stop acquiring wool or knit more, or both! Trouble is - my scarf/shawl/cowl collection has also reached overspill levels. I need to make socks, gloves and jumpers, especially things to give away.

 

 

 

This is the latest finished item. The 'Original Knitting Game' from Criminal Knits. It's lovely and soft, and warm, and cuddly. It might turn into a gift, but I think not.

I also have 5 scarves on needles, a very large Afghan, a rug for my daughter and enough plans in mind for the next several years.

 


 

 

 

 

Yesterday we went to the Escher exhibition at the Modern Art Gallery in Edinburgh. It was fantastic, I love the tessellated patterns, but wasn't aware of his early stuff, drawings of Italiam villages, cliffsides, all exaggerated and showing distortion of perspective. I would love to be able to draw like that, but if wishes were horses ....

 

 

however I have been playing around with Zentangles, also black and white and making tiles using repeated patterns. A lot of practice is needed, but they are very relaxing to do, which is the idea. I used to love making patterns as a child, I was put off doing so by an art teacher who said they were not 'proper drawings', obviously he had never seen Escher.

 

 

 

 

 

I wonder how many people have been stopped from being creative by those sorts of unthinking (and callous) remarks. I didn't make any art for years after that. But now I do, I knit, choosing the colours and textures, I take photos and alter them to make abstracts, I sometimes do pastel paintings and I cook. All of these are art in their own way. I need time out for my brain! Working with my hands does this.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment