Thursday 20 August 2015

Colours of my Mind

Once upon a time there was, and still is, a knitwear designer calle Kaffe. He really went in for colour, colour blocks, patters, stripes, squares and triangles. I had no idea that my mother was interested in his designs. However some months back she dug in one of her many drawers and pulled out a bag of about 20 small skeins that were meant to make a cardigan with lots of triangles. This I couldn't face, so, some frogging and re-rolling later I started to use them.

 

First: a multicoloured and textured scarf

Second: a shawl in colour blocks

Third: ? Must think.


I find the use of colours fascinating. How they blend and mix, what the 'rules' are. Who uses which, and why. I tend to wear neutrals, nothing very bright. This year though, I have indulged in reds, reds and more reds. Am I getting old, is this a breakout in life, a personal crazy streak or what? The plan is to be cheerful.

This, however, does not look cheerful, she looks positively ferocious. Cats have been a part of my life since I was 9. The only time I have been without them is when at boarding school and at university.

I started by bringing cats home from the farm. Mum hated it, but I was persistent, and eventually she gave in.

Originally there was a constant stream of moggies, many of whom were rescue cats, but, more recently, we have had mainly British Shorthairs, one Norwegian Forest and a pair of Bengals. Bengals, I have discovered, need endless patience and an ability to shout loudly enough to interrupt the latest mischief. Tonight it was running around the house with the packaging from the meat.

This one is less naughty, but has a very definite mind of her own, and a good ability to understand the English language, especially the VET word, even when spelt.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment